Thursday, April 30, 2009

2008 Most Challenged Books List Released.

Yahoo! News reported that ALA's 2008 top ten list of the most frequently challenged books has been released. Topping it? And Tango Makes Three. Kind of makes you die on the inside, doesn't it? There were even 93 more challenges this year than were reported last year. Methinks some people need to get themselves some hobbies. Some physical exertion is always a good thing.

Among others on the list, Gossip Girl, The Perks of Being a Wallflower and the Scary Stories series. It hurts, doesn't it? I know my brain is kind of screaming. To see the whole top ten list along with the top ten most challenged authors, go to the ALA website.

Now, I can understand wanting to shield your children from reading material that you find objectionable. While it's a little stifling, I can still understand it. I just don't get the people that attempt to force their ideals and the masses, regardless of whether they share those same ideals or not. So you find a certain book objectionable. That's great. Doesn't give you the right to rob someone else of their freedom to read. Oh am I going to have a field day during Banned Books Week. I'm already scheming!

4 comments:

Marie said...

were the pictures too scary in scary stores? haha

Unknown said...

I really agree with you about forcing it on others. It's not cool to try to force your beliefs on others. If a story came from someone's imagination, no matter the details, chances are that someone else out there is going to enjoy it. Morals are such a subjective topic, really.

Donna (Bites) said...

LOL! I think so, CW!

IHM, I agree with you. Morals are usually based on religious beliefs and very few morals actually supersede religion. Killing, I believe might be the only one that does. I could be wrong but I remember watching some anthropology show about that, on how things like the moral obligations of the ten commandments don't transcend throughout the world.

Rabid Fox said...

It never ceases to amaze me how people can be offended by the most innocuous things. Ack! Words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.