Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Chronicles of Narnia - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis


First published in 1952.

Narnia . . . where anything can happen (and most often does) . . . and where the adventure begins.

The Dawn Treader is the first ship Narnia has seen in centuries. King Caspian has built it for his voyage to find the seven lords, good men whom his evil uncle Miraz banished when he usurped the throne. The journey takes Edmund, Lucy, their cousin Eustace, and Caspian to the Eastern Islands, beyond the Silver Sea, toward Aslan’s country at the End of the World.

Eh. I was nonplussed with this one. A cool story but it was kind of scattered and I’m really starting to see the deux ex machina moments that Lewis uses via Aslan and his actions in the stories. All it seems the children have to do is wish upon an Aslan and something comes along to help them out. It’s getting a little tiresome.

I understand the story is supposed to be scattered all over the place since the children are island hopping but I think because each incident at each island was rounded out so nicely that it was more noticeable for me. I guess I just wasn’t as enchanted with this story as I was with the previous ones. THAHB is still my favorite in the series at this point and I think Eustace really irked me to the point of not enjoying this one and wanting to drown him in the ocean they were sailing on. He was a pain in the ass. I would have liked to seen him change (character, not shape) as opposed to getting told he was a different person after the dragon thing but such is this and the rest of the stories.

And Aslan appearing to the children as a lamb . . . even I think that’s getting beaten over the head with the Jesus references. Not to mention him saying that he’s known by another name in our world and the children will have to know him by that name. Hmmm . . . is it Horatio? Not that that’s a bad thing but the religious references are becoming more and more obvious as the series goes on.

Eh is what I have to say about this one. I guess every series is going to have its lulls.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.