Monday, June 15, 2009

2009 Fear Itself Challenge


JULY 1 - DECEMBER 31

What's the deal?

No, it's not about reading horror novels. Well, unless those are the ones you tend to avoid.

I wanted to start a challenge that really challenged people. That dared people to read outside their comfort zones. Pick up a book that they'd otherwise look over. Thus Fear Itself was born (although I think I overdid it a little on the blood).

Do what now?

Between July 1st and December 31st, I challenge you to read 3, just 3, books that, under normal circumstances, you wouldn't give a second look to. Avoid Gossip Girl like a VD? Now's the chance to grab one. Does horror freak you out? Grab an RL Stine.

Why?

Like I said above, we have a tendency of reading in our own comfort zones and don't often venture out of it unless really urged to. Well, consider yourself urged. It's a good thing to read something that you might not on your own accord. It broadens you as a reader and as a reviewer. Read widely is an excellent mantra. It'll, if nothing more, keep you reading.

Why six months? Dude, have you ever read a book that you're not thrilled about reading or try to force yourself through something? Yeah, it might take a little longer. Especially if you're into procrastination. You can read more if you want. But 3's your minimum.

The Catch

Yup. There is one. You can't not finish the book. And it MUST be reviewed. Now you see why the 3? This'll get you to evaluate why you ended up liking the liking the book even though you were groaning to read it. Or why it just solidified your opinion that is sucked like a vacuum. So choose your books wisely. If you really don't think you can get through Hemingway, don't choose one of his works. Hey, I feel your pain. I have an Alphas book in my pile that I'm sure I'll be in tears by the end of it questioning humanity but I'm going to read it.

So are there books out there that you "should" read? Have friends begging you to read although you don't think you'll be interested? Not only is this good for expanding your reading, but it's a good way to utilize your local library too.

~

You don't have to stick to just YA books. You can choose whatever you want. If you want to sign up, just use the Mr. Linky here. You can either link to a post on your blog with your book list or just your blog in general. On July 1st I'll post the review post where you can start linking to your reviews. Feel free to snag the little banner I made up top to show that you're participating in this challenge but please link back to this post so people don't have to go rooting around for it.



*Since Mr. Linky's disabled the auto-linky and I'm not a gold member, I have to use this one. The sites won't list in post which is kind of sucky but just click the graphic and you'll be able to put in your site and see the whole list.

20 comments:

Cindy said...

I L-O-V-E the blood :) I'm not even sure what kind of books Im going to pick, but as soon as I do, I'll comment on my post. Great challenge :)

Donna (Bites) said...

LOL! Thanks, Cindy! I like to think outside the box. :)

Library Lounge Lizard said...

Oh, I'm all over this! I'm reading a book right now that falls into this category and I'll be doing the review soon. Its a good book but not what I usually read, so yes, I'm not breezing through it like I do with my fav books!
Thanks for the challenge!
Darcy

Donna (Bites) said...

Yay! You're welcome!

Desert Rose said...

I'm in.. thanks for telling me about this!!

Sharon said...

Ok, count me in. I'm thinking my first one may be a historical romance. I've never read one and most of my bookfriends here love them. Then maybe a history, like Undaunted Courage. YIKES! Third might be a classic, or a prize winner.Let's go!

Barbara said...

I like the blood too. It did catch my attention. I might have to think about this but I'm thinking historical romance too. So I guess I'll be heading over to the library's website to see what I can find.

Cindy said...

Ok, so I've decided to read three non-fiction books :) I fear those! I'm not too sure which ones just yet, buthere is my post for the challenge :)

Donna (Bites) said...

Woohoo! Wicked awesome, Cindy!

Kara said...

I have to pick from the futuristic or horror genres because I tend to avoid those two like the plague.

Rabid Fox said...

This sounds like a fun challenge. I may have to join in. "Marley & Me" may be first on my TBR list for this challenge, as people keep putting it over, yet it's not something I would normally read.

Cindy said...

I've changed mine a bit...I don't mind non-fiction that much, but non fictional history books I dread...

Anonymous said...

LOL! What a great challenge!

The Book Resort said...

Oh, this is gonna be a good one. lol. Thanks, Donna!

Heather G. said...

I just ran across your blog! it's so "scary" and fun and creative! I really want to accept the challenge and will be posting it up soon! Awesome, thanks!

Cindy said...

Okay, so I decided to do Autobiographies/Memoirs for the challenge :)

Heather G. said...

I will be reading my first fear itself book this month!

Wings @ storywings.blogspot.com said...

Ok so i know i might be a little lat getting on the band wagon, but i am going to do this anyway. I probably wont finish in time either because i have a stack of other books that i want to read first.

Ok so my three books are:
Lolita
Catcher in the Rye
Looking Glass Wars

I have continuously overlooked Catcher in the Rye so i may aswell read it, Lolita i normally wouldnt touch because of the type of book it is, and LGW is another take on Alice in Wonderland so here goes!!

Wish me luck,
and good luck to everyone undertaking the challenge

Heather G. said...

I'm such a slacker...I didn't get mine finished....are you doing it again this year? I joined halfway through...so my heart wasn't quite in it this time...but I'll be gearing up for next time!

Donna (Bites) said...

I definitely will be!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.