Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Book Wars + 36

How I Live Now eeked out The City of Ember last week. This week, in honor of the start of Ban This!, I'm taking inspiration from ALA's Books Challenged or Banned in 09/10 list. Oh what fun! Expect the next war to be banned-inspired too. FIGHT!


St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . . Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever. (from bn.com)

vs.


Enter the dark, magical world of The House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change--and not all of those who are Marked do. It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends. (from bn.com)

15 comments:

Brooke Reviews said...

100% Vampire Academy!

Unknown said...

oooh, I actually like both of these but I'll go with Vampire Academy!! =)

Natalie said...

Vampire Academy. Hands down. Not really a fan of the House of Night series.

Yan said...

Vampire Academy hands down. HoN series is crap on a stick IMO. Sorry.

Tynga said...

No competition. Vampire Academy hands down, any day.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy both series, but for entirely different reasons. Vampire Academy is a more serious, "timeless" series. The main character, Rose, is one of the YA's most "badass" heroines.

The House of Night series is light, fun, and I breeze through the books quickly. They're not as serious, but they've kept me entertained and are a nice break from all of the serious reading.

That said, my vote is for Vampire Academy. This series is the one that I'll be re-reading many years from now. Plus, the fourth book in the series, Blood Promise, just blew me away. It's among one of my favorite YA books.

=D

Danny said...

Vampire Academy, not the tiniest doubt!!!

I really found the House of Night series super lame but I loved VA

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I haven't read either of these books and am totally unfamiliar with both series, so based on the descriptions alone, I choose . . .

Vampire Academy!

It seems less Mary Sue-ish. =P

Eden said...

Oh, please. This isn't even a challenge! VA!!!!!!!

fredamans said...

Marked

brandileigh2003 said...

VAMPIRE ACADEMY!

Splendibird said...

I haven't read Vampire Academy but you should totally go with that. Marked is so bitchy and badly written that I actually threw it across the room - I wouldn't normally come down so hard on a title, but I hated it very, very much.

Mystique said...

VAMPIRE ACADEMY!!!

The Lovely Reader said...

HOUSE OF NIGHT! My little vampire soap opera :D

Amber said...

I like them both, But it has to be 'Vampire Academy'.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.