Thursday, July 28, 2011

Banned Books Read-Out!

It's absolutely not too early to start talking about ALA's Banned Books Week and my own personal Ban This!, an annual month-long celebration of all things banned books (check out 2009 and 2010). Book banning and challenging is a year-round activity for those that insist on doing such things so really, any time is the right time for pointing out the asshattery of book banning.

This year, a special YouTube channel is being created so that anyone with a video camera, from any location, can upload themselves reading an excerpt from their favorite banned book and have it be slapped together in one giant F-U to the book banners. While I'm not a vlogger (I've only done it once), you may just see my lovely mug right here on this site reading from a banned book. I mean, how can I pass something like this up?

So expect that, along with other book banning mockery in the month of September. I'll be posting the sign-up post for Ban This! towards the end of August. I'm not sure of Steph Su will be doing the Banned Books Reading Challenge again this year but if she doesn't, I hope someone will. As book lovers, we need to stick it to the banners every chance we get!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.