Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I have an unhealthy obsession . . .

Beyond my Lost Boys fetish.  Which is heinous.  Like really bad.

This is a slightly different kind of obsession.  It doesn't make me want to visit any foreign lands or adopt Tina Turner hair or fondle crystal balls or anything but the story is so epically awesome that anything even remotely resembling it will make me want to gobble it up with the hopes that I don't release Bog of Eternal Stench-level farts in its wake.

Can you guess what it is yet?


Yup.  That's it.  Totally epic.  If you haven't seen Labyrinth yet I blame your parents, for they have failed you.  It leads me to squeal with delight when I come across websites like this with things like this -


Seriously???  OMFGBBQ I WANT TO OWN EVERY SINGLE SHIRT!  I don't care if I'll end up paying $75 a shirt between currency conversions and shipping.  I WANT!!!  Labyrinth has also led me to amass a small collection of Labyrinth stuff (that pales in comparison to all of my Lost Boys stuff but that's besides the point, and my Labyrinth site is woefully unfinished, just FYI).

But it's also because of this epic fantasy/epic David Bowie codpiece movie . . . take a minute . . .


It's because of this movie that I have a tendency of seeing Labyrinth in places that it may not exist.  Or it might.  Take, for instance, THE IRON KING by Julie Kagawa -


I had Labyrinth on the brain reading this one.  Between Meghan constantly talking about saving her brother to all of her creaturific companions throughout the story, I couldn't help it -

The Labyrinth undertones? Oh absolutely. Jareth was just dance, magic, dancing in my head through some of those parts. Every time Meghan pleaded with a creature that she had to find her brother, Sarah was right there. Grimalkin? A more valiant Hoggle. The ogre in the club? Ludo. The baby brother? Toby. It was all there. There were sly little insinuations. Nothing drastic or even all that noticeable unless you were a Labyrinth nut like me. But I saw them. Oh I saw them.

Kagawa never openly admitted to a Labyrinth influence and it may very well had been my Bowie brain making the connection.  But I saw it.

So imagine you're me coming across this book cover on a few book bloggers' blogs -


Oh hey!  What?  I can haz?  What is this Goblin King-ish fantasy and does he wear tights?  Does he carry a riding crop?  Are there pseudo-sexual undertones that may or may not be inappropriate for the forefront context?

While trying to save her brother four years ago, Greta was thrown into the witch’s fire herself, falling through a portal to a dangerous world where humans are the enemy, and every ogre, goblin, and ghoul has a dark side that comes out with the full moon.

To survive, seventeen-year-old Greta has hidden her humanity and taken the job of bounty hunter—and she’s good at what she does. So good, she’s caught the attention of Mylena’s young Goblin King, the darkly enticing Isaac, who invades her dreams and undermines her determination to escape.

But Greta’s not the only one looking to get out of Mylena. The full moon is mere days away, and an ancient evil knows she’s the key to opening the portal. If Greta fails, she and the lost boys of Mylena will die. If she succeeds, no world will be safe from what follows her back.  (goodreads.com)

OH MY GOD!!!  I can read that!  There's something there!  I may be reaching but I can still see it!  DON'T RUIN MY DREAMS!  CODPIECE!

I added this book to my want list on Goodreads so fast the damn page hadn't even loaded yet.

Do I have an obsession?  Maybe.  Am I slightly insane?  Possibly.  But can you count it against me to try and relive the MOST EPIC FANTASY EVER in the things I read?  Codpiece?  Have you READ the Labyrinth smut?  Shit, have you READ the Labyrinth novelization???  This is supposed to be a kids' movie!  Totally not.  Codpiece.


So while I wait for GRETA AND THE GOBLIN KING to be released, you'll know where to find me.


My bouts of random capitalization get credited to Laura at A Jane of All Reads.  Crediting credit to creditors owed also goes to Laura.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using MK Design's TeaTime kit.